I do not really go on a big trip but when I do, it’s because of family stuff. And just this weekend we head out to Virginia to be on a family relatives’ christening. Yup, that was my first time to be out of the state and pack clothes and stuff. I have been to New York and Pennsylvania if that counts as a trip, but never have I ever brought a luggage and few clothes in it.
The very last time I packed a lot of clothes was the night before our flight to the US. I never really am into packing, so I got a little help from dad and my sisters while I pack the stuff I needed to bring.
I was 20 years old then, I don’t own anything fancy nor anything important that much. As far as I could remember, I am all set as soon as I have packed the stuffs my friends gave me, my laptop and my DSLR. That’s most of the important things I do care before. My passport was with my dad’s hand carry and other important travel stuffs. Basically, I packed nothing.
Before I start with the Do’s and Dont’s of Packing which I noticed while I do mine over the weekend, here is a peek on what I had on my purse.
The only thing my purse/handbag has a lot of things was when I go on a trip or somewhere really far from home.
Going back, I have learned a lot from packing and I’m just going to share you guys what I noticed and maybe it will be a lesson for me and will take note of it for future purposes.
- Pack important things on a carry-on bag. If you are travelling by air, make sure all important papers and passport are on one bag including your pocket money and credit cards and such. Back when we migrated in the US, my dad used one bag for all our important papers and passports (including the boarding passes).
- Make a checklist. Before our Virginia trip, I keep reminding myself to make a checklist of all the stuff that I am going to bring and guess what, I forgot to make one and eventually forgot a few stuff. Good thing we only stayed only overnight, what if we stayed a little longer, right? That would be a total bummer!
- Know how to sort clothes together. Sorting clothes and to fit it in one luggage is really hard. I once saw a Pinterest post about how to pack a luggage and it’s HERE. I did got a hard time packing clothes and separating the “go-to clothes” and my “sleepwear”.
- Double-check. Before closing the luggage or any kind of bag you’re bringing, make sure to double check before closing it. If it’s needed, triple-check it or check it a thousand times just so you won’t forget anything.
- PANIC. Obviously, I panicked and panicking resolves to forgetting stuffs. I did forget the cloth to clean my glasses and I wore my glasses on the Christening a little dirty.
- Forget to recharge electronics. Especially when you’re going to be on an important gathering, like mine. I forgot to charge my DSLR so I ended up not using it that much because charging the battery will take me three-four hours to complete it.
- Pack unnecessary things. Just pack things that are REALLY important and much needed on the trip. I’ve packed a little bag of makeup goodies because I thought I will have a lot of time doing my make-up, well just a simple one but ended up not doing it. It will save you a lot of space on the luggage.
Those are just few reminders for me and maybe for you my dearest readers about packing for a short trip or a vacation. I know I’ll keep these stuff on mind and will know a little better because of this trip.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions on packing? Let us know on the comment, and I’m sure it’ll help me and everyone who needs it. 🙂